Pages

Saturday 14 October 2017

Tough day

Sunday 15th October 2017

Sometimes I sense that people think climbing Marilyns is the easy option. Quite often it is. However there are exceptions and yesterday's climb of Cruach Leargs was one of them.

The hill is just south of Oban and is only 252 meters high - 827 feet. The approach is via a very muddy forest track and then either more forest tracks or via the edge of the forest following a fence above the loch side. Sounds OK?

I didn't fancy the subsidiary forest tracks as they'd were overgrown and so went straight for the loch side route.  This was also overgrown by man eating bracken, head high plants and fir trees. It involved a traverse along a very steep bank with a lot of ups and downs. It was exhausting.

Eventually I made the top - yes that is Marilyn number 479 bagged.  I was definitely not returning the same way so headed south through a succession of bogs before reaching a very steep cliff which needed descending.  The obvious way down was defended by a herd of big horned cattle who all stood up on my approach and took a few steps towards me.

I found another way down and was at times plunging almost vertically into yet more head high bracken. Somehow I made it and was just left with a very long walk back.

Oh and most of the time it rained....

When back at the B&B I realised that if I had gone west instead of south from the top I would have also reached a road back to Oban. I would also have bagged another hill on the way. This time an easy one.

And today - 15 hours later - I feel pleased I bagged Cruach Creags.  I will never go there again!

No comments:

Post a Comment