Pages

Wednesday 18 October 2017

Looking back and thinking ahead

It is over! My 15 day hillwalking trip to The Hebrides. And what a trip.  One of the best I have ever undertaken. There were many highlights and few bad points. At times it was tough, both underfoot and due to the weather.  At all times it was inspirational.



Before leaving I had trained hard to lift my level of fitness and this paid off.  I was able to be out hillwalking for 14 successive days with only one of these being a light day.


My journey took me by train from Inverness to Skye and on via CalMac's ferry to North Uist.  I walked hills on South Uist, Benbecula, Eriskay, Barra and Vatersay before CalMac took me to Oban and on to Kerrera.  



Mainly I was on my own but in the middle weekend several long term friends arrived and joined me on some tops.  Prior to leaving I had hoped to join Graham and Gregor for an overnight stay in Uisinis Bothy and to combine this with two days on the Hecla to Beinn Mhor ridge. This was not to be as despite my improved fitness, the underfoot conditions on the island were at times very strength sapping and sadly I had to admit defeat on the bothy trip.


This type of trip needs a lot of planning. Prior to leaving I had spent a lot of time pouring over maps and timetables.  By and large I got this part right although looking back I should have picked up one more Marilyn and two more tops. Despite missing these I still managed to reach the top of 17 Marilyns and another 28 hills making a grand total of 45 tops.




The other negative was barbed wire which seemed to be on top of every fence. Why?  There were few gates and almost no stiles. Most fences could be stepped over but always was the lurking fear of being caught on the single strand of barbed wire at the top of the fence.


Tthe Outer Hebrides are almost on a different planet to my home in Central London. A fact that was reinforced on my return with the murder just 2 streets away of a young man returning home from work, by a moped gang intent on stealing his phone.  Stabbed to death for a phone!!!  

Getting around required thought.  I used several ferries and local buses, plus a few lifts from friends, and couple of hitch hiked rides. However most time was spent walking.  The bus journeys were enthrallling with completely different traffic problems to what I suffer on the 414 route from my house in London to Putney Bridge.



Wildlife abounds.  I had a close up view of a sea eagle and among many different species I saw an otter, eider ducks, merlins, hen harriers, voles and of course deer.  The roaring of the deer signalling the rut was underway.



The island hills were not high but nearly all were very rough underfoot.  Everywhere was wet. There are endless lochs big and small.  Always from the top there was a view of the sea.  The Minches lay to the east and the mighty Atlantic to the west which piles up the kelp shown in the photo below.



I cannot finish without thanking my friends for their support and help. At times my enthusiasm for the hills must be a bit wearing to them!

Philippa encouraged me to make the most of the opportunity and thankfully provided all kinds of back up both before, during and after the trip.  Although I very much doubt she will swap the London theatre and opera scene for accompanying me on a future trip, she will be very welcome if she does decide to come.



I have returned  home feeling very alive and buzzing.  Hopefully I will get to return to the Hebrides and Skye before long as I have many hills I still want to climb and several ambitions to achieve. 
 




 My thanks to Trevor who supplied some of the photos 

No comments:

Post a Comment