Pages

Monday 16 October 2017

Kerrera

The island of Kerrera today which makes 10 islands visited on this trip.

Kerrera is a quiet island with gravel roads, few people and memorable views.  The little CalMac ferry plies back and forth across the Sound of Kerrera. On the opposite side of the island is the Firth of Lorn and beyond that The Island of Mull.  To the north larger CalMac ferries go back and forth to Oban.

I climbed 3 hills including a not particularly hard Marilyn.

The plan was just to spend the morning on Kerrera and then peak bag on a roundabout route back to Oban. A gale was blowing and was forecast to get stronger.

After 2 weeks in the hills, my fitness levels were high and I sped round so that I was back at the ferry early.  Panic! No ferry.  It was moored up at the overnight mooring and there was nobody round to ask or timetable to review.  The gale howled. It started to rain.  The sea was getting rougher minute by minute.  I had visions of a night on Kerrera and missed connections back to London.

Hugely helped by Philippa we worked out that all that was happening was a long lunch break and after a 90 minute wait the lovely little ferry lurched over the bumpy Sound of Kerrera to get me - just me- back to the mainland and allow me to bag 3 more hills.





No comments:

Post a Comment