Pages

Monday 20 April 2015

The next train is in 6 hours time

I am staying at Lochailort and want to climb Glas-charn, a Graham situated just outside Glenfinnan. I don't feel like using the bike so decide to travel the 11 miles by train.  Obviously I will need a return and there are 2 trains after lunch, one at 4.55pm and the next one 6 hours later just before 11pm.

It should be no problem but Scottish hills can throw the best laid plans out of the window so I decide to move fast and make sure I catch the first train so avoiding a long wait.

Lochailort station is a request stop, surrounded by high and wild hills. I am the only passenger today.


I have to walk 3 kilometres along the main Fort William to Mallaig road to get to the start of the climb.  Road walking is not something I enjoy but at least I can move fast.  The initial part of the uphill bit is on a newly constructed and very ugly forest road.  Although these roads rip the beauty out of the place, they are easy walking and also made for quick progress.


The open hillside also provides easy going and I am soon at the top where overcast conditions and a chill breeze force me to add additional layers of clothing.  I know many of the surrounding hills having climbed them on previous trips so it is like meeting old friends again.


The return trip to Glenfinan also takes less time than I had anticipated so I arrive back well ahead of schedule and in time for tea and cake overlooking the hills to the south.


Having first asked the guard to make sure the train stops at Lochailort, I enjoy the 11 minute journey back which is part of one of the great railway journeys of the world. Tomorrow I will do more of it when I start my return trip to London.


No comments:

Post a Comment