Pages

Wednesday 15 April 2015

Eagles

The rain relents after 36 hours.  A short 2 mile bike ride gets me to the start of an easy looking hill.

But Carn Ban is special as it is my 1000th hill climbed according to the UK Hillbagging list. The views are excellent in all directions.  

Near the top a Golden Eagle glides majestically above my head and away into the distance until just a speck.  All done effortlessly without seeming to beat a wing.  A true spectacle leaving me the spectator standing in awe.

I cycle several miles alongside Loch Spelve, a sea loch, to the start of my second hill of the day.


The going is the exact opposite of Carn Ban.  Maol Ban is a small rough hill.  Wet underfoot, I struggle up through bracken, heather and hummocky grass.  The hill is alive with deer.  They know few humans come this way and have little problem moving away as I approach. Higher up the going eases although it is still wet ground. Then I breast the final ridge and..

Jura is to the south, the mainland to the east and to the north my next objective the hills of Moidart.

I don't hurry to leave but eventually have to return and the icing on the cake, is seeing my second Golden Eagle of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment