Pages

Sunday 12 April 2015

Snow

Sunshine accompanies me as I trudge up the service road towards to ridge of Dun da Ghaoithe, the second highest hill on Mull, and a Corbett.  Trudge? Not really as behind me a most spectacular vista opens up.


Ahead the hill is plastered in snow.  Once the service road ends, at the second of two radio masts, I am on the snow and am clearly the first person on this side of the hill today.  

All around the high tops are snow covered and inviting. 


The summit and ridge are tricky.  The snow is fairly wet and it feels to me as if there is a danger of slipping.  Although the exposure to drops, is not great, it is sufficient to inspire caution especially as I am on my own. But the effort is well worthwhile.





Dun da Ghaoithe means Fort of the two winds and this is certainly the case today as at times it is completely calm and yet at other similarly exposed points, there are strong cold winds, sometimes with a fierce hail shower, which hurry me along.  Another memorable day.



No comments:

Post a Comment