Pages

Wednesday 25 February 2015

The Borrowdale bus

I sneak away for a couple of days in Keswick where as usual I am well looked after by Steph and Steve at Bramblewood B and B.  I catch the local bus to Stonethwaite as my targets are Sergeant's Crag and Eagle Crag.


The walk up the valley is easy but it all changes when I branch off up the steep snow covered slopes of Sergeant's Crag which makes the going tiring.  I disturb a small herd of red deer stags and also see a buzzard and kestral.  More wildlife than is normal in a Lake District valley.  It gives the day a wild feeling which is enhanced by the rocky tops.

There are great views back to Stonethwaite.

Back at the road I stop for a bite to eat in the smart bus shelter.  

The bus takes me back to Keswick. The road builders never envisaged buses using this route so there are frequent stops while the driver skilfully squeezes us between hedge and oncoming vehicles.  

The bus is busy.  Most passengers are old.  Just about all are wearing quality walking kit so I guess they have been using the many trails in Borrowdale.  There are quite a few dogs on board who seem to have had a good day just as I have had.


No comments:

Post a Comment