Pages

Thursday 19 February 2015

Another day, another hill



Cream Thoraraidh is the Marilyn due north of Helmsdalle.  I am on the hill soon after dawn and approach the top via a gully up the main face disturbing breakfast for several deer along for the way.   The summit plateau is squelchy and completely disfigured by 2 communications masts.  The trig point is roughly in the middle but I don't linger as a vicious squalls slices through. 




By the time the squall is in the North Sea and attacking the distant oil rigs, I am well into my descent this time using the service road for the masts.  

Later in the day I catch a train to Thurso and look across the Pentland Firth to Orkney.  The highlight of the train journey is crossing the empty and wild Flow Country which is full of wildlife and full of tempting walking routes for the future.


1 comment: