Pages

Tuesday 24 March 2015

Trains little and large

One major theme of these blogs is the use of public transport and in particular, trains.  This trip has made a lot of use of trains.  

The journey from London involved 4 different trains which was more interesting due to me having my bike with me.  I started with a Virgin Pendalino out of Euston.  Switched to a local train at Lancaster without problem.  The next part from Barrow was an issue as the rolling stock was old and the bike and pannier would not fit in the corridor between the platform and the allocated bike space.  I managed getting on by taking the pannier off.  Getting out at Ravenglass was a problem as the train doors stated to close with me struggling to get the bike along the corridor.  After much arm waving I managed to get free.  I have to say the guard was very patient.

The Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway is a 15" gauge steam line running up the Eskdale valley.  



My first problem was to get the laden bike between main line and narrow gauge stations. The access gates were pedestrian only but a very helpful local solved the problem by lifting the gate off the hinges!

Bike and I fitted comfortably in to the tiny carraige and so I got to The Green station and journey's end.



Yesterday I walked up a subsidiary peak of Sca Fell called Slight Side. It is the peak behind the train.
The view from the top was less clear.  This looks towards Middle Fell



Today I was on the other side of the valley on Green Crags.  
A remote area by Lake District standards.  I saw nobody on the hills on either of the last 2 Days.

Both days I used the Ravenglass Railway which took me 2.5 miles up the valley and brought me back to Eskdale Green. 

No comments:

Post a Comment